This remarkable collection provides two different groups with special needs in school with a resource that will unlock their potential:
- students with English as a second language and unable to access mathematics, and
- students with dyslexia held back by a language and textbook-focus
The Structure of the Course
A minimal langauge pre-test allows students to show what maths they already know. A tracker sheet guides them to work on the maths they need to develop. Vocabulary help sheets support students with the technical vocabulary they need to develop. The activities themselvs are cleverly designed to use only the absolute minimum of words, while developing technical vocabulary. The language level develops as the course progresses. Students take a final test using standard language levels to demonstrate their readiness for mainstream school and success in formal exams.
Download free sample materials to try out from the student workbook:
Access to Mathematics consists of:
- Teacher handbook with over 40 mathematics lessons outlined in detail.
- 10 comprehensive student workbooks.
- Access to the Access to Mathematics web site with interactive activities
- Resources fully cross referenced in the books and answers online to all of the activities.
Additional workbooks and packs of 10 workbooks are also available - see links below.