‘A highly appropriate product to help develop early numeracy skills and understanding’ (Steve Chinn).
Watch the video about this new tool HERE.
See the article about using Spot On HERE
from the Mathematical Association's Primary Maths
Spot On is a new system for developing Number Sense developed in the UK by a teacher and designed with the NCETM’s big 5 ideas for Mastery in mind.
Some of its greatest strengths as a concrete and pictorial learning tool are that Spot On:
This Pack includes ten 4x4cm wooden blocks and approximately 250 pegs (in a range of 10 colours). The Number Bonds Pack includes much more.
- Links to the fingers as well as other familiar dot patterns
- Highlights the links between numbers
- Displays numbers in a highly visual format
- Encourages children to subitise & not rely on enumerating, but on number facts
- Gives children the opportunity to explore the fascinating patterns in numbers
- Enables children to physically partition & manipulate numbers
- Allows children to discover and make sense of number through play.
The pegs and boards are packed in a handy plastic box and can be used at school or at home to aid children in developing number sense. Children or instructors can model any maths question up to 50 (or up to 100 with two packs).
Children who are actively engaged in making numbers and making sense of maths, will develop fluency, reasoning and problem solving skills. And have fun!